Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tim Burton Crazy? Sweeney Interview,HP update, Johnny's looks 'make him cry' (you're so hot, it makes my cry too!) & Tim and Johnny : the perfect pair


'Crazy' Tim Burton

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk

Tim Burton acts "crazy" and talks to himself on the street to stop people from bothering him.

The 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street' director admits he developed his unusual defence mechanism to avoid constant attention from fans.

Burton said: "If you want people to leave you alone then appearing to be crazy is a good thing. If you're walking down the street talking to yourself people tend to give you a wide berth!

But I've always been blessed with being easily ignored or avoided. I think maybe it's because people think I look a little crazy."

Burton - who has two children, a one-month-old daughter, who he is yet to name, and a four-year-old son Billy, with long-term partner Helena Bonham Carter - claims he has always felt like an "outsider".

The eccentric filmmaker - who is renowned for his surreal, gothic films including 'Sleepy Hollow' and 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' - said: "I have always been an outsider. As a kid I identified with the monsters in the old horror films, like the 'Creature from the Blue Lagoon' and 'Frankenstein'."


http://harrypotterspage.com
Gloucester Winding Up for Harry Potter Filming
This is Gloucester is reporting that the area is getting ready for filming of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to take place at Gloucester Cathedral. They didn't say when filming was to begin, but they did mention that Daniel Radcliffe, Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix), Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid), Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall), and Julie Walters (Mrs. Weasley) were all expected to be there.

We'll make sure to update you as soon as more information is available!


Depp's good looks make him cry

http://www.dailyindia.com

Each time Johnny Depp looks into the mirror, he breaks down in tears, for it makes the Hollywood star feel that he is very good looking.
The Pirates Of The Caribbean star says that he often selects obscure film roles that cover up his handsome Hollywood image.

"I cry every morning when I look in the mirror," Contactmusic quoted the 44-year-old star as saying.

"Every single morning, because I gotta live with this cute face," he added.

Depp is known for playing obscure roles in Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street.

His portrayal as Sweeney Todd in Tim Burton's 2007 musical version of the classic London-based horror story won him a Best Actor Oscar nomination.


Sweeney Todd Interview
http://movies.ign.com/

IGN recently attended the European press conference for Sweeney Todd and got to hear the thoughts of stars Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall and the younger cast, as well as director Tim Burton and producer Richard Zanuck.

The event itself, held in a swanky London hotel, was full of journalists from all over the world, and featured some seriously strange questions. The most bizarre was the Irish journo who asked Jayne Wisener (who plays Johanna in the film): "So, you're from Derry right?" She was. "Well, my cousin owns a pub in Derry, the Old Crown, have you ever been there?" She hadn't, and will presumably steer well clear of the place from now on. Very Strange. Anyway, here's what the team thought about Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - out this Friday in the U.K.

Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd

How was it doing your first musical? And will you be doing it again?

JD: We're doing the sequel now [laughs]. I actually did do a musical many years ago with John Waters called Cry-Baby, but technically it was only half me - it wasn't me singing. Tim's the only person brave enough to actually let me try to sing. It was the first time I'd ever sung - I'd never even sung in the shower, I'm too mortified. But once I got over the initial fear it was kind of enjoyable. Sondheim's melodies and lyrics are a real pleasure to tromp around in, it's really beautiful stuff. Would I ever do it again? No, I doubt it.

What were the biggest acting challenges you faced?

JD: It's funny because early on, when Tim and I talked about Sweeney and the idea of doing it, 50% of the job would be done before we ever stepped on the set with the recording of the songs. Then we'd go in and lip sync to it. Or that's what we thought... But these guys know as well as I do that you go into the recording studio and sing your guts out recording the stuff, and do it as best you can and then you go onto the set. We thought we were going to lip synch but in fact the only way to do it is to belt it out once again on the set, which is extremely mortifying. Everyone's very, very close and you just feel like an idiot at first. But then it was oddly liberating, having music on the set all the way through. It made it interesting. It felt like we were doing a silent film.
Sweeney Todd and Mrs. Lovett up to their murderous ways.

Did you base your singing voice on any person in particular, as you sound a bit like David Bowie when you sing?

JD: A couple of people have said that, which is interesting because I wouldn't ever dream of attempting to channel David Bowie. He's a big hero of mine. If there's a similarity it wasn't intentional. And it's a nice compliment.

You once said that there is always something of you in every role you play - what part of you is in Sweeney?

JD: I do believe that you have to bring some degree of truth from yourself to the role and I'll admit it here, I have shaved a grown man before. I have done it. And it wasn't Tim [Burton].

Did he survive?

JD: [Laughs] He is alive, yeah, he's walking around to this day.

Where did you get your accent come from?

JD: Just from spending time over here, it wasn't any one particular person that I based it on.

Sweeney seems a bit of a gunslinger with his razors; did you see that and was it fun playing with the razors?

JD: The holsters seemed the safest area to put the razors. And did I have fun playing with them? The killing of everyone was the easy part; the most difficult part was lathering them up and shaving them: that's the part that freaked me out the most.

Do you see this as a tale of redemption?

JD: I think, as Tim said the other day when we were talking about the theme of revenge, it's a feeling that most people don't want to admit to. But I think we all have it secretly in there. I'm a big fan of revenge; I think it's a story of a man who clearly has obsessions to avenge the horror that happened to him.

What revenge have you taken?

JD: [Smiles] I can't incriminate myself.

You've been in The Fast Show, so is there any truth to the rumour you wanted a role in Doctor Who?

JD: No, I didn't really pursue anything with Doctor Who. But The Fast Show is, in my opinion, one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen anywhere. When that was mentioned as a possibility I went after Whitehouse, I stalked him. I was sitting on a tree outside of his bedroom window with a funny mask on, that's how I got the job basically. I haven't done that for Doctor Who.
Sweeney Todd helmer Tim Burton.

Tim Burton - Director

What did you use as inspiration for the film?

Tim Burton: A lot of my own anger! I said to Johnny this would be the perfect job because you don't have to do anything, you don't say anything and you just look out of the window and brood and be angry and I told him it was a great job.

Helena Bonham Carter: It's actually a portrait of our home life.

What do you think about the cancellation of The Golden Globes due to the WGA strike?

TB: Its different hearing about it over here, I'm not really in tune with what's happening, the only thing I can say is that awards shouldn't have an impact on a film in terms of people seeing it, though I guess in some cases films that are different or fall into strange categories like this one then awards can probably raise awareness of them. But I guess the sad part about it is that films that are different won't reach as many people.

What was it about the music that appealed to you?

TB: One of the things I loved about the musical was that you listened to the soundtrack and it tells you the story we didn't want it to be like a traditional musical, instead it felt like a silent movie with music. It's not 'lets get a chorus singing and have extras dancing on the street', each of the characters, because they're depressed or happy or crushed inside, the music was a way of expressing their feelings - that was the structure we used for it. And the contrast between the imagery, which was quite dark, and the music, which was lush and beautiful, was something that I'd never seen before and that was why I wanted to do it.
Helena Bonham Carter lusts after her husbands best friend in the film.

Helena Bonham Carter - Mrs Lovett

Was it easier or harder getting the role when your husband was the director?

HBC: It was probably harder. I mean he told me: 'You look right for it but we have no idea if you can sing.' So I thought: 'well, I'll try and learn' and did singing lessons, but you know I had to be righter than right. I wouldn't want people saying I got a role in his film just because I slept with him. At the end of the day Sondheim said I was okay... and I definitely didn't sleep with him!

TB: That's not what he said...!

How did you find having to lust after Johnny in front of your husband? Was it awkward?

HBC: Not really... maybe it should have been? No... The fact I was being paid by my boyfriend to romance his best friend - it was I guess a strange situation but no I didn't worry about it.

Dick Zanuck - Producer

When you were at Fox you green lit The Sound of Music, Hello Dolly and Dr Doolittle, why did you green light this?

DZ Well there's no comparison. The Sound of Music was among the first pictures that I put into production and was a giant hit as every one knows. I tried to follow that magic with three flops: Hello Dolly, Star! And Dr. Doolittle - which did little! And I vowed never to go near a musical again 'til Tim said he would do Sweeney Todd. And having seen the show in person on Broadway years and years before I thought "well it's a wonderful piece, but it won't make a picture..." But when I heard Tim was passionately involved in it and wanted to do it - that was enough for me. He's the only person I would have wanted to do this picture.

TB: But what if I said I wanted Rex Harrison instead of Johnny?

Timothy Spall - Beadle Bamford

You're the only one on the panel who you don't see garrotted, I was wondering if you are upset about that and are you worried about the reputation you'll get in America because you've played several unsavoury characters?

TS: I don't worry too much about being typecast. But I mean although I don't get garrotted there's a nice shot of me shooting down the trapdoor and my head smashing on the ground and a bit of my brain comes out, so I didn't feel that left out. You play a disgusting, fat ugly sexual pervert who thinks he's rather lovely looking, but from where that came from, I don't really know!

Johnny Depp and Tim Burton talk about working together

http://www.news.com.au

ACCORDING to Tim Burton, there once was a time when he would have to convince studios to let him cast Johnny Depp as the star of a musical.

‘‘We're now at the point where they'll give him the lead role in a musical and they don't even know if he can sing,'' Burton says.

‘‘Nothing gets more surreal than that. It's fantastic.''

It's no surprise Burton uses Depp's stardom as yet another punchline.

Their byplay is never-ending.

The two have been trading off each other, both professionally and privately, for years now and it's been nothing but a joy for both.

Depp plays the title character, Sweeney Todd, in Burton's film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's hit Broadway musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Despite the challenge of bringing a musical to the screen, neither saw any reason to lighten the mood or tone down the bizarre humour.

‘‘I think Tim only asked me to sing so he could get a good laugh,'' Depp says.

‘‘I was so scared that all it was going to be was me going up there to sing and him just losing it. Him just cackling.''

‘‘I nearly lost it,'' Burton says to Depp, ‘‘when you weren't singing, when you were pretending to be normal. There was one flashback where he was supposed to be a normal guy and I couldn't even be on the set.''

It was a scene in which Depp is pre-Sweeney Todd, simply a happily married barber with a new baby, all before his life is destroyed.

‘‘He just cracked,'' Depp says.

‘‘I had to leave the set. I couldn't even watch it,'' Burton says.

‘‘He was crying,'' Depp continues.

‘‘I almost had a heart attack. Because we did that near the end, after we'd been through everything else.

‘‘With that weird little yamaka wig. So you know,'' -- Burton is still laughing -- ‘‘it was very strange.''

This latest project has taken Depp and Burton's relationship into an uncharted phase -- the stage musical brought to screen.

Based on Sondheim's brilliant play, it's a huge gamble for any number of reasons.

Neither Depp nor any of his co-stars -- Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Sacha Baren Cohen and Timothy Spall -- are classically trained singers.

Also, Sondheim's scores are notoriously difficult, yet Depp reveals a remarkable voice and receives fine support from his co-stars.

Whether a real Sweeney Todd actually existed in 19th-century London is still debated, but he has long been the stuff of legend, the story mushrooming after Sondheim gave it the musical treatment in the 1970s.

Though the legend had Sweeney Todd slitting the throats of those he shaved, Sondheim introduced the evil judge who sent Todd to Australia because he secretly coveted the barber's wife, which has become the fully finished version.

The mayhem then ensues when Todd returns, with a healthy helping of blood on his mind.

‘‘It's a story about revenge and how revenge eats itself up,'' Sondheim says.

Depp, typically, leaves all other versions of Todd dead in the water.

‘‘I thought it might be a good opportunity to find a new Sweeney, a different Sweeney. Almost like in a punk rock, contemporary way,'' he says.

The success of the movie is the innate relationship between Depp and Burton, partners in a crime spree that began with Edward Scissorhands and has trekked through Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

IT'S a friendship that clicked the moment the pair met in a Los Angeles coffee shop in the late 1980s, where they discovered a shared liking for the absurd.

‘‘This kind of fascination with understanding the absurdity of what was perfectly acceptable in the 1970s . . . for example macrame owls and resin grapes,'' Depp says.

‘‘Fake fruit. No one thought twice about that.''

Such is their trust that Burton has only to call to get Depp for a role.

‘‘Anything he asks me to do, I jump at the opportunity,'' Depp says.

‘‘Except a ballet,'' Burton says.

‘‘No, I actually would. I would try,'' Depp argues.

Depp is asked if he will sing again in the future.

‘‘Never again,'' he says.

‘‘He'll be on the West End, tomorrow evening,'' Burton says, once again laughing hysterically.

‘‘I'll never do it again, not for anyone,'' Depp says, starts to laugh himself now.

‘‘You're going to get all these musicals,'' Burton says.

‘‘Not for anyone,'' Depp says, the Burton laugh track starting to get to him. ‘‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat,'' he says, in fits himself by now.

Then Burton breaks into song: ‘‘Jesus Christ, superstar . . .''

Depp: ‘‘Oh boy.''

1 comment: